Last year at VMworld in San Francisco I bought two Emulex OCe10102 10GbE cards for my home lab, and used two Dell/Force10 cables to connect them together. One card went into my Dell PowerEdge T710, and one in my HP Microserver Gen7.
However, things did not start well. I downloaded the driver and firmware from Emulex, and then flashed each card. I installed the Emulex driver on my ESXi host, but for some reason it continued to run dog slow. Like 10mb files taking an hour to copy across for example.
I changed the OS on the NAS from FreeNAS to Windows Server 2012 R2, and then to Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2. Performance was still terrible.
In the end I decided to take a look at the ESXi box. Using:
esxcli network nic list
I could see that the cards were in half-duplex. I tried to force them into full-duplex using ethtool but that didn’t work.
After seeing lots of errors in vmkernel.log, I concluded the driver must be the issue. Using:
esxcli software vib list
I could see that I’d previous installed two Emulex drivers, elxnet and lpfc. It was time for these to go.
After shutting down the entire lab, I put the host into maintenance mode:
I then removed both drivers:
esxcli software vib remove --vibname elxnet esxcli software vib remove --vibname lpfc
And then rebooted the host. When it came back up, I listed the network adapters again, and this time saw that the be2net driver had kicked in:
Everything was fixed. A simple copy of a 1GB ISO took forty seconds using the datastore browser. Still not blistering, but that is down to the NAS (slow disks and a Celeron processor).